Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Very First READ-A-THON!

Just this morning I wandered upon a fantastic event: A read-a-thon hosted by Cover to Cover Challenge. I think this is a great opportunity to get caught up on some much needed reading. I am currently behind in my read along, so that is my top priority for the first twenty-four hours. I am still scrambling to gather the novels for each of the mini-challenges! With school ending in only two short days, this is the perfect time for me to participate in this event! 


Here are the details from Good Reads:


The 24 hour readathon is on May 21st. You can start anytime on May 21st after the event starts and end it 24 hours later.

Mini-Challenges

1. Not-quite-a-chunkster: Read at least one 400+ page book. (I am reading The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. Pages: 894)

2. Let's talk books: Ping one member from this thread or the sign-up thread and ask them to suggest a read for you. You can choose to accept it (look at your physical shelf or the library, see if you can get your hands on it) or move on to another member. Let us know how many members you had to contact before you got your perfect read and don't forget to credit that person.

3. Yay! A field trip: Make an impromptu visit to your library or bookstore. Walk around the shelves and stacks, breathe in that amazing smell of books, take some pictures if you like (post them if you do), and pick a random book to read. Bonus point if you pick a book from the recommendations or staff-picks section.

4. Moderators Pick: (This is where we will suggest a category - genre/country/author/awards list and you can pick any book from that category.) Read a Newbery Medal winner. For list of Newbery Medal winners, go to this link: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/a...

5. Wanna dare me: Read a book that you want to read but will still not read, instead you want to be dared to pick it up and read it.

6. Armchair traveler: So after globe-trotting during last readathon, here's a spin. Read a work of translation.

7. Random Fortune: Since we all have huge Mt. TBRs that we are immensely proud of, randomly select a read from your bookshelf. Go to http://random.org , enter Min=1 and Max=<the number of books in your TBR>. Click on Generate, and read the book in your TBR corresponding to that number. (If you don't have access to that book, feel free to do this again and again until you come to a book that you have at home or can pick from the library.)

Another great things about today. . .I am taking a much needed trip to a local bookstore - Square Books
Do any of you have suggestions for the mini-challenges?
What a great Saturday! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for following me, I'm now following back :)

    Your 'about me' made me laugh because I'm also a teacher (primary school) and I run the school library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds so fun! Maybe I will get that opportunity one day; for now, I will just have to keep adding to my classroom library!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not make it near as far as I had hoped with this RAT. However, I was able to finish my chunkster mentioned in my above post! I promise to be much more dedicated next time :)

    ReplyDelete