Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews

Horrific and Scandalous.

I just finished reading Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews. This is my first V. C. Andrews. Yes, it is a gothic novel, but it is so much different than any of the 19th century tales I am accustomed to reading.

Here is a very, very brief summary: After the tragic death of their father, the Dollanger family is haunted by family secrets and greed, to say the least. Despite terrifying circumstances, the Dollanger children remain hopeful that their mother will come through with her spoken promises to restore their comfortable lifestyle. But if she doesn't, they will have to do whatever it takes to survive and save themselves.

This summary does not do this novel much justice; however, like my previous posts, you have probably noticed that I prefer to focus on my reactions to the text rather than the plot.

Upon finishing the last page, I could not find the words to express my feelings for this book. At times I was disgusted; I wondered if I felt such feelings because I didn't like the novel itself. At times I felt guilty as if I was spying on the actions, emotions, and changes experienced by these helpless children.

Flowers in the Attic is the first novel in the Dollanger series; however, I think it is ends well enough to be a stand alone. I am still contemplating whether or not I want to read the rest of the series. I honestly don't know if my heart can endure learning about any further struggles for these siblings.

I think this may be the most twisted novel I have ever read. One thing I know for sure: Corrine Dollanger is the most heartless villain I have encountered to date.
Are any of you V. C. Andrews fans?

2 comments:

  1. Flowers in the Attic was almost a rite of passage when I was at school. All my friends read it, and we would discuss it in hushed tones in the playground. The series gets progressively weaker as it goes along in my opinion, but I did enjoy the prequel - Garden of Shadows. It tells the story of the grandmother, and explains why she is so cold and horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may check out Garden of Shadows! Other than that, I don't plan on reading the rest of the series. My TBR pile is already overflowing!

    ReplyDelete