Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

It was very appropriate that I followed Setterfield's, The Thirteenth Tale immediately after finishing Jane Eyre. Setterfield's likeness for Bronte's novel is very evident to her readers. Being a book addict, I was immediately sucked into Margaret's story when I learned that she lived/worked in an antique bookstore in England. As I read, I became a bigger fan of Vida Winter though. It was Mrs. Winter's mysterious incestuous  past that kept me turning the pages; therefore, Margaret's own narrative eventually failed to amuse or intrigue me.

I enjoyed this novel . . . except for one thing: modern day "ghosts" are not near as enjoyable to read about -- to me -- as 19th century (and earlier) ones. Many parts of the stories about the two sets of twins were interesting; however, at the end, Setterfield's narrative was a bit stretched by what I can best describe as a reconnection between Margaret and the twin sister she never knew. I guess I have to admit that I was much more partial to Vida Winter's story rather than the novel's protagonist.

For the remainder of the Gothic Reading Challenge, I plan to return to more of the classics.


No comments:

Post a Comment