Saturday, April 30, 2011


My sweet husband bought me three new novels this week; I felt like a child at Christmas time when my package finally arrived! Recently, one of my friends recommended that I read A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. She described this novel as a cross between elements found in both the Harry Potter series and the Twilight saga. I have never read any of the Harry Potter novels, but I enjoyed Twilight.

The book I am most excited about reading is Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. While chatting with my fellow English teachers, they highly recommended that I read this novel for my gothic reading challenge!

Finally, there is Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I have read a little background information on this book, and it looked like one I would enjoy for the reading challenge as well.

I also downloaded two freebies to my kindle: The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole and The Monk by Matthew Lewis.

I am currently wading through The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I have enjoyed what I have read so far; however, I wish the story would move along a little more quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, some great titles here!

    Rebecca is a fantastic book. I have Castle of Otranto on my TBR shelf too. I read Flowers in the Attic as a teenager and loved it.

    And The Woman in White is surprisingly good! But yes, it does have some draggy parts. But, hey, there's nothing wrong with skimming those ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog via A Literary Odyssey; welcome to the blogosphere! And you really should read Harry Potter! They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete